Click the pictures below to see each person’s holiday newsletter for 2019.
From us here at KONE Spares, we wish you the very best safe and happy Thanksgiving!
It’s hurricane season again, so we’re keeping this checklist up at the top of our blog. Let’s all make sure to stay safe, and if you need us, we’re here for you.
So, on to the hurricane preparedness list…
BEFORE THE HURRICANE
- Check all sump pumps, float switches and alarms in elevator pits.
- Close up all vents and openings in top of hoistway and machine room to prevent water from entering.
- If elevators open to the outside, place sandbags along the bottom of hoistway doors. Since this makes the elevator unusable, do this just before shutting down the elevator.
DURING THE HURRICANE
- Run elevators to the top floor of hoistway and pull the main breaker in the elevator machine room (not in the building’s main breaker room).
- Park elevators with doors closed.
- Do not operate elevators during the hurricane.
AFTER THE HURRICANE
- Inspect the elevator pit, cab and machine room for any water. Do not energize main line breaker if water is found.
- If water is found, call your elevator service provider immediately!
- Do not attempt to start elevator if power is out – call your electric company
Even with the proper preparations, hurricanes often cause power outages and surges that can stop elevators between floors and entrap passengers, and worse, knock out the emergency communication system. Be aware that people may be trapped in elevators with no way to call for help. We can’t state this strongly enough: never try to exit, or attempt to help others exit, a stalled elevator without trained professional rescue workers on hand.
We’re taking Labor Day off, and hope you are as well. Have a safe, happy, and fun Labor Day weekend!